As you fly into land over Mallorca’s mountainous terrain and notice its little turquoise coves dotted with houses, thoughts of making the island your new home arise. And how could they not? The largest of the Balearic Islands is where the Mediterranean Sea meets stunning landscapes, from vast acres of farmland, to lush mountain hills and lines of olive groves. It is beautiful as it is diverse, and promises new buyers one of the richest lifestyles in southern Europe. Exclusivity exists in Mallorca if you turn your eye away from the mass-tourist sights and look deeper. Properties in some areas of Mallorca will sell for millions, with private steps down to the beach, helicopter pads and infinity pools not uncommon luxuries.
As a resident of Mallorca for over twenty years, editor Dr Helen Cummins has curated her list of the most exclusive places to live on the island. From little towns near the coast to sun-baked villages in the mountains, travel over land and sea to find out which place made the top spot. Where is the most exclusive place to live in Mallorca? Is it the Pine Walk in Puerto Pollensa? Anchorage Hill in Bendinat? Or celebrity-famous Deià? Find out below!
11. ArtàArtá is a town in the northwest of Mallorca which shies away from the main tourist trail, meaning it’s more secluded. Its mountainous backdrop is one of the most spectacular and includes the famous Santuari de Sant Salvador. Historic palaces can be found in its cobbled Old Town or if its property with land you’re after, then places like Son Puça are a honey-pot for grand fincas. For a country house you can expect to spend anything from €375,000 to €6 million, which for what you get, is cheaper than what you might find in other areas like the southwest. Artà is considered relatively off-the-beaten-track for some buyers, which means demand is less intense.
Artà is full of surprises; naturally reflecting its seamless blend of nature, heritage, tradition and modernity, it really is a uniquely special corner of Mallorca.
Property for sale in Artà
Buy a property in Artá and you will benefit from all the pleasures of this captivating countryside, while being in close proximity to town and all its amenities.
10. SantanyíGolden Santanyí is loved for its natural sand stone. A popular place with German buyers, the property market has enticed many celebrities and wealthy expats to the area in recent years. This is down to its aesthetic charm, proximity to beautiful beaches as well as the fast road into Palma. Areas like Alqueria Blanca on the outskirts are home to beautiful country houses, where you can enjoy true peace and quiet. Prices have climbed near the coast in Cala Figuera and Cala Llombards, which sees an average price of 1.65 million euros spent (according to Engel and Völkers). Award-winning architects like Jørn Utzon and Gus Wüstermann have paved the way for sustainable builds in Santanyí, meaning its exclusivity is also tied to its loyalty to using local materials.
Find out all you need to know about Santanyí in Mallorca. From living in the area to the town’s best hotels, restaurants and local events.
Property for sale in Santanyí
Property in Santanyí has a lot to offer, from impressive architecture to a privileged location closeby to some of the islands most breath-taking coastline.
9. AlaróAlaró is upmarket living for nature lovers, looking for a slice of rustic Mallorca. Properties in Alaró are defined by their traditional Mallorcan stone, particularly seen in Los Damunts which is like stepping back in time. Alaró has retained all of its historic character, thanks to its protection under UNESCO. This has avoided any architectural clashes and kept the town preserved just as it was hundreds of years ago. Therefore, property here is very special and further still when paired with unspoiled countryside and low levels of traffic. It is the place to move to in Mallorca if you’re looking for peace and quiet near the Sierra de Tramuntana.
Find out all you need to know about Alaró in Mallorca. From living in the area to the town’s best hotels, restaurants and local events.
Property for Sale in Alaró
Alaró offers properties for those either seeking a rustic finca with land or a charming period townhouse.
8. SóllerSóller is firmly positioned on the tourist track thanks to the famous tram that connects it with the capital, Palma. However, with increasing interest in Sóller, exclusive pockets around the outskirts have cropped-up. The small suburb of L’Horta has many well-sized plots with pools and large gardens. Here, you can find rustic properties with luxurious touches, such as upgraded heating systems and designer kitchens. Mandy Fletling from Living Blue Mallorca, says that the up-and-coming zone to watch in Sóller is the area surrounding the main street Calle de Sa Lluna. The recommended place to invest in for exclusive, luxury property.
Sóller has an abundance of good things. Discover them all; from hotels and restaurants to the event calendar, and what it’s like living there.
Property for sale in Sóller
Over the past decade, Sóller has become increasingly popular amongst international buyers. Its pretty, quaint and has two sandy beaches close by .
7. Puerto PollensaWhen the words Puerto Pollensa are spoken, thoughts of luxury property arise without trying. Walk along the Pine Walk with views out to La Fortaleza at the end of the bay and you’re looking at some of the most exclusive property on the island. Mallorca’s most distinguished residents own holiday homes here, many of which have been kept in the family for generations. Therefore, when property comes up for sale here its real estate gold with apartments averaging at €400,000 plus and villas selling for no less than a million euros. The BBC ‘The Night Manager’ helped put Puerto Pollensa on the map for its opulence, owed to the glamorous scenes shot at La Fortaleza estate. Therefore, demand in the area is high and properties rarely stay on the market for very long. They’re snapped up by wealthy buyers without hesitation.
A family-friendly resort for many years, Puerto Pollensa has also attracted a growing population of ex-pats to its stunning shores.
Property for Sale in Puerto Pollensa
The property market in Puerto Pollensa is attractive to second-home buyers particularly in the cycling and sailing community.
6. Portals NousThe southwest of Mallorca is where, without a doubt, much of the island’s luxury status comes from. When you think of glamorous Mallorca, the chances are Portals Nous will come to mind. Its marina, Puerto Portals, is where the rich and famous regularly moor their superyachts and spend a few months at a time on Mallorca’s shores. Join fellow yacht owners and buy a slice of Portals Nous for when you’re fed-up of riding the waves and in need of some on-land luxury. The exclusive enclave of Costa d’en Blanes is one of the most upmarket residential developments on the island. Multi-million euro properties will hug the hillside, looking out to uninterrupted views over the Bay of Portals.
Portals Nous is home to a friendly cosmopolitan community, whose town is livened up by the summer swell and luxury yacht marina on their doorstep.
Property for sale in Portals Nous & Puerto Portals
Portals Nous, with its exclusive hillside neighbourhoods and swanky yacht marina, has become one of the most in-demand property hotspots on the island.
5. Old Town, Palma de MallorcaThe Old Town in Palma is where the city’s grandest palaces and stately apartments are found. This is the capital’s most historical area, which weaves its way around the Cathedral, Calatrava, Cort and La Lonja. Down the narrowest of streets, there are palaces and historic townhouses on the market for millions. Their entrances can often be unassuming, but step past their wrought-iron gates and you’ll step into true, Mediterranean luxury. Grand courtyards with water fountains are not uncommon, as well as beautiful rooftop terraces with pools. Owning a property in this part of Palma comes with some serious status, belonging to just a small percentage of Mallorca residents. Living in the Old Town is what many dream of when they visit Palma.
Palma de Mallorca
Palma de Mallorca is a city full of surprises. Move to Mallorca’s capital and discover the very best of what the island has to offer.
Property for sale in Palma de Mallorca
Own keys to an apartment in central Palma and you’re looking at real estate gold. Now is the time to find your dream property in the city.
4. BendinatBendinat is lined with most expensive properties on Mallorca, where eight-figure villas are considered the norm. Its hillside setting is where you’ll find perfect sea-view villas and semi-detached homes popular with families. Prices here will range from around €650.000 for golf apartments to €20 million for first line sea front homes in Old Bendinat. The exclusivity of Bendinat comes not only for its proximity to the sea but also to neighbouring village Puerto Portals, which appeals to visiting yacht-owners in the area. It also has its own golf course, Real Bendinat Golf, which brings world-class golfers to the area.
With its abundance of luxury villas, world-class golfing and air of serenity, the neighbourhood of Bendinat stands out as one of Mallorca’s most exclusive.
Property for sale in Bendinat
Bendinat offers affluent buyers a prime coastal setting scattered with opulent mansions and luxury apartments, a short hop from the island’s capital.
3. Port AndratxIf you look at any analysis of luxury real estate in Mallorca, Port Andratx will always be coloured in red (meaning top location). The area is regarded as one of the most sought-after places to live in the southwest, particularly amongst the German community. Its villas staggered into the hilltops are where prices sky-rocket into the millions and for good reason. Some of the world’s best architects carry out their work in Port Andratx designing properties with underground garages, spas and infinity pools. Its neighbouring little coves share the same level of demand, particularly in Cala Llamp, Cala Marmassen and Mon Port. At the highest price point, properties close to the rocky beach will even have their own steps down to the shoreline.
Port Andratx is home to some of Mallorca’s best seafood, an international sailing club as well as fantastic restaurants. Find out more in this hc/ guide!
Property for Sale in Port Andratx
The property market in Port Andratx is synonymous with luxury in Mallorca. It signifies exclusivity and promises a good return on investment.
2. DeiáFollow in the footsteps of Sir Andrew Webber and Matthew Williamson and purchase property in what is a little slice of Mallorca heaven. This little village on the northwest coastline is talked about worldwide for its breathtaking scenery and unspoiled nature. The five-star La Residencia hotel sets the tone for the sheer beauty you’ll find in Deiá, and why it continues to appeal to celebrities worldwide. This is the place in Mallorca where exclusivity means equal amounts of privacy and beauty all in one. Buy property in areas like Cala Deia, High Deiá and Ca l’Abat and you’ll look out to unbeatable sea and mountain views on one of the best plots of land in Mallorca.
Set in a particularly pretty corner of the Tramuntana mountains, the traditional village of Deià combines picture postcard images with high-society connections.
Property for Sale in Deià
Will it be a rustic townhouse in the centre of Deià? Or buying a large estate with views overlooking Cala Deià? Find out all you need to know about buying a property in Deià!
1. Son VidaThe private community of Son Vida is Palma’s most expensive neighbourhood located in the city’s hilltops. The area is always under construction by world-famous architects drawn to the area for its affluent clientele. The sky is the limit in Son Vida with infinity pools, helicopter pads, outdoor cinemas, basement saunas, and wine cellars not unsurprising features. It is regularly referred to as the ‘Beverly Hills’ of Mallorca for its celebrity appeal and three world-class golf courses. The landscape in Son Vida includes rolling hills, trees and lakes which is a rare sighting for somewhere so close to the centre of Palma. Editor Helen Cummins lives in Son Vida and for her it is THE number one place to live in Mallorca – because of it security (one road in and out with 24 hour security) and spectacular views of the city.
Only in Son Vida will you find Mallorca’s best golf courses and most exclusive villas. Find out more in this informative guide by resident herself, Helen Cummins.
Property for sale in Son Vida
Known as the ‘Beverly Hills of Mallorca’, Son Vida promises a wealth of luxury properties for sale which are ready to move into immediately.
Deciding on where to live on Mallorca isn’t an easy choice. The island is full of beautiful towns and villages that enjoy both the Sierra de Tramuntana and unspoiled coastline. When you consider the proximity to Palma as well, residents can enjoy the best of all three worlds: city, beach and mountains. This in itself is luxury living. Look closer still at some of these places and you’ll find pockets of even further wealth. Mallorca continues to surprise, as more beautiful properties are built and more people choose to live the Mediterranean lifestyle.
Why Choose to Live in Mallorca?
Find out why Mallorca is the number one place to move to in the Mediterranean and why it continues to appeal to thousands of expats every year.