Port d’Alcudia is a wonderful place to invest in on Mallorca. 45-minutes drive from the capital of Palma, in the north of the island, it lies at the end of the Bay of Alcudia, the longest beach on the island. It’s most definitely a place for those who love to live by the sea, and enjoy the great outdoors.
Here you will find plenty of prime properties that sit directly on the beach. There’s little that’s more wonderful than waking up to spectacular sea views to accompany your morning coffee whilst contemplating the day ahead, or stepping outside your home and directly onto the beach with a paddle board under your arm.
Near the old fishing harbour, apartments on the pedestrianised promenade benefit from the hustle and bustle of daily living, with shops, bars and cafes outside. For yacht owners, the marina provides an excellent base from which to explore the big blue.
Larger, luxury villas sit on the peninsulas nearby, offering more exclusivity, privacy and a welcome escape from all the tourists that flock in large numbers to this part of the island each summer.
Port d’Alcúdia offers an active lifestyle for cycling and hiking types, providing the ideal location for families to move to and enjoy Mallorca.
Building styles range in age but the majority have been built over the last 60 years (and continue to this day), since Port d’Alcudia grew from a little fishing harbour into the summer holiday hotspot it has become.
Where to buy a property in Port d'Alcudia
The area around the old fishing harbour has been developed into a substantial marina and the fishing boats now share their moorings with luxury yachts. Bars, restaurants, cafes and shops run along the pedestrianised area that runs from the harbour to the beach. This area is dominated by apartment blocks and luxury penthouses with sea views. Behind this area, properties are separated by streams, from the canal system that leads to an inland lake. This area is very busy in the summer months and quiet in the winter.
Alcanada boasts the most expensive properties in north Mallorca. Large luxury frontline villas enjoy privileged and uninterrupted views out over the whole Bay of Alcúdia. Alcanada Golf, one of Mallorca’s most highly regarded courses, sits in the middle of these prime properties. Alcanada is much quieter than the harbour and affords more privacy. A pathway stretches along the waterside, perfect for a morning run or a gentle evening stroll and there is a small beach. The area has a fantastic restaurant, La Terazza.
Mal Pas-Bon Aire and Cielo de Bon Aire lie on the other side of the peninsula, behind Alcanada, providing yet another quiet location and prime choice of property. Villas with pools nestle in the quiet maze of residential roads, most of which have some form of sea view as the estate gently slopes from the hill towards the sea. A small, sleepy marina offers perfect property for yacht owners. There are a few restaurants and bars nearby but for more nightlife, the port is just a 10-minute drive away.
The Paseo Maritimo runs along the beachfront, from the harbour to Playa de Muro. Luxury apartments and penthouses in prime frontline positions are lined along the beautiful beach, with its shallow azure waters, powdery golden sand and rows of pretty palms. Villas are located in the roads behind the Paseo. It’s the perfect location for beach lovers with the plenty of leisure activities on offer here, and there are plenty of restaurants, bars and cafes all around.
Advantages to buying a property in Port d'Alcudia:
- Perfect location for water sports enthusiasts, cyclists and hikers
- Fantastic marina for yacht owners to berth
- Port d’Alcudia offers great value for money through its landscape and opportunities
- There are a choice of styles on offer, including apartments of varying sizes, villas, duplexes.
- There are plenty of frontline properties amazing sea views over the Bay of Alcudia
- A decent amount of shops and restaurants are open all year round
- It’s safe with many lovely pedestrianised areas, around the harbour and along the beachfront
- The commercial port offers ease of access to Barcelona and
- Easy access to France via the ferry
- Alcudia old town with its twice weekly market and plenty of amenities is 5-minutes away by car
- It’s well connected to the rest of the island including Palma and the airport, via the nearby auto pista (highway).
Some things to bear in mind
- The area is very busy in the summer months due to mass tourism
- Out of season it’s very quiet
- In the summer months, it can be noisy until late, particularly around the harbour area
- If you don’t have your own parking, it could be more of a challenge to find a space in the summer
Port d'Alcudia Price Guide
2 BEDROOM HARBOUR APARTMENT
3 BEDROOM BEACH FRONT APARTMENT
5 BEDROOM LUXURY FRONTLINE VILLA
€1.200.000 – €3.800.000
(Please bear in mind that prices are subject to change)
Types of property in Port d'Alcudia
Along the length of the Paseo Maritimo from the harbour to Playa de Muro, prime apartments and penthouses dominate the area. Those along the beach are in absolute frontline positions, commanding outstanding views over the vast sweeping Bay of Alcudia and mountains beyond.
They offer the best of the location, with the golden sands and watersports, literally at your door. Most have terraces or balconies from which to maximise the views and some benefit from gardens and communal pools.
These properties would appeal to those who love to make the most of the surroundings, particularly the beach and the sea.
Alcanada offers some of the most exclusive property in the area. A mix of older Mediterranean villas, as well as modern designer villas of the highest standard, afford luxury to their owners. Large plots, exceptional sea views, landscaped gardens, entertaining terraces and modern technology provide comfortable living.
Many of the older villas have been reformed, whilst still retaining their charming features such as terracotta floor tiles, wooden beams, antique windows and wonderful arches.
Unique homes in the frontline are blessed by turquoise waters lapping against the shore, just a few meters away. Property here is appealing to families and those searching for a little more privacy and exclusivity.
Rules and Regulations
There are strict planning laws and it is always advisable to consult an independent local lawyer who specialises in real estate sales. The lawyer will guide you and check that the legal status of the property is all in order.
Obtaining a holiday rental license has become more difficult over the last few years due to new strict laws, and it is impossible to obtain such a licence on a new build villa until 5 years has passed.
No high-rise buildings are permitted and there are maximum size parameters for any new buildings.
This newly built luxury villa overlooks an especially pretty stretch of Alcúdia Bay, steps from the beach and with lovely views from a rooftop jacuzzi.
What the Experts Say About Property in Port d'Alcudia
- “In the past, Port d’Alcudia has been overlooked in favour of Port Pollensa, but over the last few years, people have woken up to the fact that the area has so much to offer. The marina and harbour are perfect for boating people, Alcanada Golf was voted one of the best courses in Europe and there are plenty of watersports and hiking are right on the doorstep.”
- “I would recommend buying property in Port d’Alcudia for the all year round vibe it offers, unlike other parts of the island which are just seasonal.”
- “Property in Port d’Alcudia returns great value for your money compared to other coastal locations on the island.”Gary Hobson, Engel & Völkers