Years of having the pleasure of eating out in Mallorca mean that, when someone asks me for a recommendation, I know just where to send them. Give me a few keywords like ‘buzzy’, ‘elegant’, ‘trendy’ or ‘cosy’ and I’m immediately flipping through my mental Filofax of island eateries.
When a friend or acquaintance asks for ‘romantic’, many restaurants come to mind. Mallorca, with its balmy nights, to-die-for views and spectacular settings, seems tailor-made for memorable occasions with a loved one, and these places in particular ooze romance.
A romantic restaurant can take many forms. Here’s my selection running the whole range, from simple beach spots and countryside hideaways to ravishing mountain retreats and chic roof terraces.Editor’s note: Dining as a gooey-eyed couple at our pick of romantic restaurants on Mallorca is not compulsory. Visit with friends, and fall in love with the food…
18. AstirOverlooking the bay in Portals Nous, Astir is a restaurant with heart. Whether its prawns from Soller, chicken from Campos or apricots from Porreres the menu is a mouth-watering portrayal of the variety of food grown on the island. The kitchen is open all day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, including a special brunch on Sundays. Read more
16. Restaurant 19 Livingdreams, Santa MariaThis fusion restaurant in the centre of the island (Santa Maria) is housed in an old town house with a stunning garden and shady terraces to relax and enjoy the views. Service is good and the food is an interesting mix of local and Mediterranean with a hint of Asian influence. Read more
15. Arrels by Marga Melia RestaurantA tasting menu can be a great shared experience, and those at Arrels by Marga Coll are particularly special. Choose five or seven courses of modern Mallorcan cuisine, enjoyed in the sparkling five-star surroundings of Gran Meliá de Mar. Read more
15. Oleum at Son NetIn the village of Puigpunyent you will find Oleum restaurant at the Gran Hotel Son Net, surrounded by stunning views of the Serra de Tramuntana mountains. This is just the place for fine dining. Oleum is blessed with the golden three: great food, beautiful setting and fabulous ambience. If you’re looking for a classic setting to sweep someone off their feet, this is it. Read more
14. El Olivo RestaurantAs Hotel La Residencia’s main restaurant, you can expect a dash of the sublime with your romantic meal at El Olivo. Famous guests like Princess Diana and Harrison Ford have added to the sense of glamour, and the fine Mediterranean dining here, with views of the mountains, is fittingly elegant. Read more
13. Es Raco des Teix RestaurantCosy up in this Michelin-starred corner of Deià. The ‘Racó’ in Es Racó d’es Teix means ‘nook’, and what could be more romantic than an intimate meal? Chef Joseph Sauerschell pays great attention to every little detail of the modern Mediterranean food. Read more
11. Restaurant Sebastian, DeiáAnother personal favourite… this well-known and much loved restaurant in the beautiful mountain village of Deiá is certainly worth a visit if you love good food and friendly relaxed service, in rustic surroundings. But book in advance…. Click here for the full restaurant review of Sebastian’s in Deia. Read more
10. Sumailla RestaurantWhen you and your partner feel like sampling more exotic cuisine, Sumailla comes out tops. The chef at this smart waterfront eatery, Mauricio Farinola, is famed for his sushi. Japanese/Peruvian at its best. Read more
9. Sadrassana RestaurantAnother ‘Night Manager’ setting, this unique restaurant housed in a 19th-century manor house is soaked in atmosphere. Linger over exquisite tapas, fish or meat, and follow up with drinks in the bar if you wish; Sadrassana stays open and buzzing until the early hours. One to have fun seeking out in Palma’s old quarter. Read more
8. VOROIf you admire a great sommelier that knows their stuff then VORO will not disappoint. Each dish is paired with a wine that compliments its flavours, bringing out all those delicious Mediterranean undertones we all love. In the kitchen, chef Álvaro Salazar is creative to say the least, and loves to twist classic dishes and add a touch of character. You won’t leave VORO without wanting to re-book and return. Read more
7. Ponderosa Beach RestaurantDine under the Balearic night stars with your feet in the sand at Ponderosa Beach. Also located at Muro in the island’s north, its appeal lies in its natural simplicity – with a delicious menu, great cocktails and top DJs adding to the atmosphere. Read more
6. Salvia Hotel RestaurantThis is the restaurant we choose when we have friends visiting the island and want to give them a special treat. The dishes prepared by German chef Martin Winkler are consistently good and we love the healthy combination of ingredients and flavours at Salvia Hotel Restaurant. Highly recommended particularly for celebrations. Read more
4. Agapanto RestaurantSóller harbour has its own special magic at night, and the moody ambience at Agapanto perfectly fits the natural setting. Great care is taken over the Mediterranean – Mallorcan menu, with lots of extra touches added. The mountains, sea and music make this place a little bit magic. Read more
3. Las Terrazas del Bendinat RestaurantSoftly lit and pine scented, Las Terrazas del Bendinat is a gem of a restaurant in the south west. Hotel Bendinat is one of Mallorca’s most emblematic stays and its restaurant is big on the classic, semi-formal eating experience, meaning men should wear long trousers. Ladies, you can glam it up for this one.
Tip: Share a knockout paella. Read more
2. Maricel RestaurantThe scene for one highly charged scene in BBC hit drama ‘The Night Manager’, Maricel has a swoon-worthy setting right next to the Med. Part of the exclusive Hospes hotel, it does sensually-concocted dishes perfect for a romantic tryst.
Tip: The breakfasts here have been voted best in the world. Read more
1. Bens d'Avall RestaurantCountless anniversaries have been marked at Bens d’Avall, and with good reason; this perennial Mallorca favourite matches sublime food with a sublime setting. Perched above the Med in between Deià and Sóller, it boasts ravishing terrace views, gracious service and winning ‘New Mallorcan’ food. Special.
Tip: Always, always book in advance. Read more